Sep 8, 2008

DeKalb Gallery Closes

The DeKalb Gallery has officially closes as of Sept. 6th, 2008.
When I was a child, I used to enjoy going downtown for dinner. After dinner, my family and I would always stop inside our favorite small-town art gallery to see local art in-person. The gallery I used to visit is called Lancaster Galleries, and resides in Lancaster, PA. I would study the pictures to see what the artists were up to and think about my future place in society as an artist.  I would ask how I might improve so that one day my work would be on exhibit. It was one aspect of many that helped enrich my appreciation and dedication to a life in the arts.

Being a local art gallery in a small town is difficult. Will people be interested in art? Will they buy art? How do you balance art that is interesting and courageous while at the same time realizing that safe art sells much easier. Gallerists play an important part in supporting art, bringing culture to the community, opportunity for artists, and value to its customers. It is more love than profit.

Supporting the arts can mean many things. It can be appreciating, going to openings, buying/donating, taking classes, going to museums, supporting funding, educating oneself and others about art, making art or working in art related fields.

I am new to this community, however I recognize the loss to the character of downtown DeKalb, and to the art-lovers DeKalb Gallery has touched over the years. If you enjoyed seeing shows at DeKalb Gallery in the past, send Dan Grych (curator and owner of DeKalb Gallery, and a nice guy) a thank-you message and wish him well on his new life in Arizona.

Yes, Dekalb Gallery has closed.  Hoever, even supporters of the arts need support and our thanks too!

If you have any personal memories or wishes about DeKalb Gallery, let the owner know that you cared.  You may contact Dan Grych at: dan@dekalbgallery.com

The torch passes on to you. 


1 comment:

Checkmark said...

That is a big bummer. Even though DeKalb isn't that big, it was nice to know that there were art-friendly places like that and The House Cafe downtown.