Nov 16, 2008

Street Artist Swoon, reveals all in ArtNet interview!

Street Art is an artform that in recent years has been gaining more and more attention. Nicole Davis, of Artnet did a video interview with street artist "Swoon," where she talks about her reasons for taking art into the streets. 

Swoon speaks of needing to push away from listening to people who told her, "I can't do that."Swoon explains, " I wanted to do something that was kind of bad...once I started working outside I just had this intense energy, that I could just make things, put them out and they'd be gone, ravished and destroyed... It was a way of clearing out every idea, so you are forced to keep making new things... this constant renewal allows you to move through a lot, because you are not going to keep anything. She later goes on to explain how this path led to other public art and collaborative projects with other artists.

It is really important as an artist to allow yourself a path to experiment, work in different medias and formats, and explore the lows and highs of your thought process in order to mature and know oneself. I enjoyed seeing Swoons work and hearing her explain how street art was an act of rebellion as well as a testing ground for her creative process. She creates her works using the wheat-pasting method popular in urban areas such as NYC. Let me know your thoughts. 

No comments: